changes to how kdepimlibs and kdebase/workspace are installed and found

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Dec 9 21:22:57 CET 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008, Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> antradienis 09 Gruodis 2008, Andreas Pakulat rašė:
> > Because /usr/share is for non-platform specific data and those files
> > contain platform specific information (in particular they contain paths
> > to things like the library files and headers). Such platform specific
> > stuff is put into libdir. These files are the cmake equivalent of .pc
> > files, which also reside in /usr/lib.
>
> By the way,
>
> KDELibsDependencies.cmake
> KDELibsLibraryTargets*.cmake
>
> are in ${DATA_INSTALL_DIR}/cmake/modules (i.e. /usr/share). So these are
> not platform specific while similar kdepimlibs and workspace stuff are?

No, they should also be in lib/ somewhere ideally.
They are where they are because
1) that's where I put them when I started with this more than two years ago
and I wasn't aware of that issue
2) nobody complained until now
3) cmake supports that Config.cmake file search just since 2.6.0, so with
2.4.x we had to use something different (which is what we have now)
4) FindKDE4.cmake comes with cmake and has to find FindKDE4Internal.cmake,
which then actually finds all the other things. Having it in the same
directory as FindKDE4Internal.cmake is a very easy and reliable way to do it.

So, you are right, ideally it should be under lib/ too.
I'm just not sure if I should change that now.