changes to how kdepimlibs and kdebase/workspace are installed and found

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Tue Dec 9 19:14:45 CET 2008

Hello,

antradienis 09 Gruodis 2008, Brad King rašė:
> Many projects have a /usr/lib/<name>[-<version>] directory containing
> platform-specific data for the package.
Some do, some do not.

> Placement of the files near to the libraries in the installation is a
> *feature* of the find_package command.
/usr/lib/liba.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/liba.so.1
/usr/lib/liba.so
/usr/lib/A/cmake/AConfig.cmake

/usr/lib/libb.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib/libb.so.2
/usr/lib/libb.so
/usr/lib/B/cmake/BConfig.cmake

now multiply this by the number of libraries usually installed on the system.
Sorry, but I call this /usr/lib pollution. You may not be violating FHS but
you're sort of violating spirit of it. What saves the day a bit is that
/usr/lib/liba.so /usr/lib/A/cmake/AConfig.cmake can stay in the development
package which end users usually do not have installed.

> It avoids all problems with
> multiple installations and multiple versions.
It may be, but at least the current KDE solution does not support development
stuff of multiple versions under the same prefix.

> The command magically
> finds the files burried in the installation instead of in some central
> place which can have conflicts.
instead of <prefix>/(share|lib)/<name>*/(cmake|CMake)/ you can also search for
lib)/cmake/<name>*Config.cmake. No conflicts.

> Furthermore, the relative path from the
> config files to the libraries remains fixed no matter where the package
> is installed.
Yeah, it also remains fixed if you use:
/usr/lib/liba.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/liba.so.1
/usr/lib/liba.so
/usr/lib/cmake/A/AConfig.cmake or just /usr/lib/cmake/AConfig.cmake

after s#/usr/lib/##

liba.so.1.0.0
liba.so.1
liba.so
cmake/A/AConfig.cmake or just cmake/AConfig.cmake

Looks pretty fixed to me.

So I really want find_package() to support /usr/lib/cmake search path as an
alternative search path. Please give distributors a choice.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>