Reduced link interface - now for real

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 21:48:02 CET 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 18.11.08 22:07:58, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > So, what needs to be done ?
>
> Just wanted to start with this for kdevplatform, but there's one thing I'm
> not sure about. kdevplatforminterfaces is a shared lib and has symbols
> from: QtCore,QtGui,kdecore,kdeui,ktexteditor and QtDesigner in its public
> API. Do I have to list all of those in the link-interface? Or just
> ktexteditor+qtdesigner, because the others are mentioned in the
> link-interface of those two (indirectly) already.
>
> I'm asking because this is not quite clear from kdelibs. kdelibs/kdeui only
> adds kdecore+qtsvg, ktexteditor only uses kparts. But kparts has
> kio+kdeui+qtcore. So thats a bit confusing. Especially so as KTextEditor
> also has QtCore symbols in its public API.

Yes, I'm not completely sure here either. Basically I just did the technical
part.
We have at least two things to consider: correctness and also convenience.
Doing it correct will require some work be the respective developers. Adding
some more convenience (i.e. making the "link interface" of some central
libraries relatively big) could save on that.

I'd say the packagers (Sune, Dirk, Rex, ...) should comment.