FindKdepimLibs should require Boost

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Aug 5 16:28:12 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 10:12:27 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 15:33:07 Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Monday 04 August 2008 16:53:19 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I hope the subject doesn't stir up a flame-war. I'm not questioning the
> > > dependency. My question is: Shouldn't FindKdepimLibs.cmake be requiring
> > > Boost? There's currently breakage in the 4.1 branch (kdeplasma-addons)
> > > because one part of the comic dataengine in there uses libsyndication
> > > from kdepimlibs. However libsyndication contains boost-stuff in its
> > > public headers, which means one has to also require boost to build the
> > > comic dataengine completely.
> > >
> > > So shouldn't FindKdepimLibs.cmake have a find_package call for Boost,
> > > probably requiring it. After all its impossible to use all of kdepimlibs
> > > without boost. Or we need more logic in FindKdepimLibs.cmake setting
> > > individual _FOUND variables for the individual libs and setting this to
> > > no if boost is not found but the specific library contains boost stuff
> > > in its public headers (like libsyndication).
> >
> > So if a user is attempting to build kdeplasma-addons from svn
> > against a distro package of kdepimlibs, and they also didn't
> > install the boost package ... they will encounter a problem.
> > gotcha.
> >
> > seems that the distro kdepimlibs-devel package should have
> > a requirement on boost-devel.. but I guess we can't enforce that.
>
> That's right.
>
> But we can enforce in the CMake scripts. If you want to develop against KDE
> PIM Libs, you need to have boost installed (whether you use it directly or
> not), so the requirement should be there.

Right, so we have a couple choices (to summarize the previous postings):
1) make FindKdepimLibs.cmake do a find_package(Boost REQUIRED)
2) find everything that is using a kdepimlib library that also needs Boost
and put an individual check (optional) there. Apparently libsyndication
in kdeplasma-addons is the only known case of this... so far.
(well, except kdepim which requires Boost anyway)

looks like someone already took care of #2 for kdeplasma-addons.

IMO: we are done with this until another incidence occurs.