recent KDE buildsystem changes that affect OSX?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Apr 22 01:43:52 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008, Jonas Bähr wrote:
> Am 16.04.2008 um 23:27 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > On Wednesday 16 April 2008, you wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> For GUI applications /Applications/KDE/<Bundle> would be fine in my
> >> opinion.
> >
> > I.e. BUNDLE DESTINATIOn /Applications/KDE ?
>
> Yup, so that kate would be installed as /Applications/KDE/Kate.app

Ok, please update your FindKDE4Internal.cmake.
There is now a new variable BUNDLE_INSTALL_DIR, set to /Applications/KDE by
default.
If an executable is installed with
install(TARGETS kate ${INSTALL_TARGET_DEFAULT_ARGS} )

the bundle should now be installed to /Applications/KDE
Can you please verify ?

> >> Is there a way to install bundled resources into the bundle still in
> >> the build-dir, without the need the install the bundle itself?
> >
> > If I understand you correctly this is not supported with cmake
> > 2.4.x, but with
> > cmake 2.6, and I think we can't use that as long as we don't
> > require cmake
> > 2.6 on all platforms.
> >
> > Would that be required to be able to run it from the build dir ?
>
> Yes. Else the application won't find its icons, ui.rc, etc... (if not
> installed properly)
> I wrote a patch for KStandardDirs to find bundled resources on Mac OS
> X, which is now in trunk. The only think that is still missing is a
> way to install resources into the bundle in the build dir; currently
> you have to do it manually. I install to a tmp-dir and then copy the
> share-folder from this tmp-dir into the Contents-folder of the
> bunlde. Ready is a relocatable application bundle with a kde
> application.

I would suggest you live with that that the bundle has to be installed in
order to be used, that's the same as for regular unix.
CMake 2.6 is able to do that, but we can't change that before we require cmake
2.6 on all platforms.