skipping the kdeinit magic on windows (Re:

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Apr 17 11:46:05 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Strictly speaking we can't do this, it would break source compatibility.
> KDE 4.0 has been released, and there kde4_add_kdeinit_executable(kfoo) creates
> a target kdeinit_kfoo, which is referenced in the CMakeLists.txt.

Easy then, let's used a new name for the new macro - leaving the kde-4.0 macros as they were,
but providing a new and easy way of writing kdeinit executables.

> > If we use
> > kde4_kdeinit_link_libraries+kde4_kdeinit_install, then we won't have to
> > change all the CMakeLists files in KDE, we will only have to change the
> > definition of those macros.
>
> I wouldn't like that. If at some point we would decide that kfoo doesn't have
> to be a kdeinit app anymore, this should be done by changing it from
> kde4_add_kdeinit_executable() to kde4_add_executable().

No I don't mean "if kfoo shouldn't be a kdeinit app".
I mean "if the whole kdeinit mechanism shouldn't exist anymore (for loading applications)".
Which almost happened for kde4, and will very likely happen at some point (maybe kde5, maybe before, who knows).

> > It's all about putting all the logic into one
> > shared layer instead of spreading the exact same logic all over KDE.
>
> I don't agree here.
> Some logic is spread all over KDE, both in the sources as well as in the build
> files, and I really don't want to do more magic than absolutely required in
> the cmake stuff.

Code duplication is bad, whether in sources or in build files, I would think that is quite obvious.

But the one who codes decides, I'll let you go ahead if you're still not convinced.