The gold linker and KDE

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:43:55 CEST 2008

Am Montag, 14. April 2008 22:29:56 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Monday 14 April 2008, Michael Druing wrote:
> > Please keep in mind that gold is ELF-only, so it cannot be used to link
> > on Win32.
> >
> > Thus, linking KDE with gold must stay an option and shouldn't become the
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> Alex

After reading some more about gold it looks like a good linker for development
but not for release builds. The binaries it produces are some percent larger
than those from ld and it reportedly produces slower (at runtime) types of
relocations (TEXTREL? sorry, I am really not a linking expert).
In its current state gold is nothing more than a tool to speed up linking
during development and maybe to complete an incomplete dependency list or two
because it's less forgiving.

--
Ooooh scary. How about "King o' the spoiled potato salad?"