Debug buildtype broken

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Sep 22 01:56:13 CEST 2007

On 22.09.07 00:33:25, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> It is not an often done debugging job to debug a heavily eventbased
> interactive application (like KDE applications generally are) in a debugger
> and stepping through it line by line.

I disagree (but then I've done only one year of KDE development, so
maybe I'm still too young in this business ;)

> it is just too complex, especially if
> you have to step through hundreds of inline expansions of trivial accessors
> to get somewhere.

With a reasonable user interface for your debugger you don't step
through hundreds of inline'd accessor methods. You step through maybe a
hundred lines of code that may contain the problem. I try to use the
debugger more often than the debug-by-printing system, because if the
debugger works its often faster to reveal the real issue. At least thats
my experience working on KDevelop3 and its QMake support (which of
course has some non-gui part).

> therefore, the default debug build should be a reasonable optimized build with
> good backtraces.

Ok, I understand and can live with that. However that means we don't get
proper "stepable" apps on win32 as debugfull doesn't exist there. The
question is: Should we have debug with -O0 on win32 or take this issue
"upstream" to cmake and try to solve it there (possibly requiring cmake
2.4.7 or .8 for win32 debug builds)?

Andreas

--
A few hours grace before the madness begins again.