New TechBase for Documenting our CMake Stuff

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 04:49:55 CEST 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 09:52, Allen Winter wrote:
> FYI:
>
> I started a new page on TechBase for documenting all
> our KDE-specific variables, macros and stuff for CMake.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_and_CMake_Together
>
> Help with this page is greatly appreciated.
>
> So far I mostly copy+pasted from
> kdelibs/cmake/modules/KDE4Defaults.cmake
> kdelibs/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
>
> We should also document; FindFoo macros;
> command line variables;  env variables; etc

Yes.

This is something which all cmake based projects could use. cmake has code to
generate documentation from the module files present at cmake build time.

I think it would be a good idea to enhance cmake so that you can point it at
some directory and it will generate the documentation for the module files it
finds there. Currently it can generate the documentation in plain text, man
page and html format. If this is not good enough, a 4th format, which should
be something generic like docbook or so could be added.

What I want to say, instead of putting effort into developing some custom
script or so it would be better to try to come up with a design and patch for
cmake which implements what we need and from which all cmake users can profit
(and by this help making cmake the buildsystem of choice for more people).

I know I would be the obvious person to do that but as I mentioned I'm a bit
short on time currently.

Bye