FindGLIB2.cmake

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Sep 4 17:42:54 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 16:01:09 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Sunday 02 September 2007 3:45:47 am Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >
> > >Which is, unfortunately, not good enough. Glib2 could be installed
> > >in /opt, for instance.
> > >
> > >Listing all possibilities is not a reasonable solution to me. Can we
> > > start parsing --libs-only-I ?
> >
> > I meant --cflags-only-I, but the same applies to --libs-only-L.
>
> I played around with this for a bit, and almost succeeded.
>
> But then I remembered we were discussing removing pkg-config
> stuff completely.

Removing pkg-config stuff is a bad idea when it's the only place to contain
the information we need.

For platforms that cannot/don't want to use pkg-config, I guess you should
complain upstream. Options that I can see:

1) get those dependencies not to require extra information
2) get the extra information from somewhere else
3) get the platform to use pkg-config properly

I'm so sorry that it doesn't work for everyone, but please don't shoot
ourselves in the foot. pkg-config is there to stay and is well-supported on
Linux. And it's the *official* procedure for finding certain dependencies.
Use it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358