[CMake] Problem with to long path names on win32

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Oct 12 00:21:24 CEST 2007

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently can't compile kdebase/konqueror because the paths exceeds
> the max path length:
>
> D:\kde-msvc\tmp\kdebase-beta3-3.94.1.20071011\work\kdebase\apps\konqueror\sidebar\trees\konq_sidebartreetoplevelitem.cpp
> : fatal error C1083: Datei (vom Compiler generiert) kann nicht geöffnet
> werden:
> "apps/konqueror/sidebar/trees/bookmark_module/CMakeFiles/konq_sidebartree_bookmarks.dir/__/__/__/__/__/__/kdebase/apps/
> konqueror/sidebar/trees/konq_sidebartreetoplevelitem.obj": No such file
> or directory
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem? I already shortened the paths but
> they're still to long... :(

CMake HEAD (in CVS) uses a much better policy to determine path names to
reduce the cases in which the long names are encountered.  It also has a
way to automatically replace long path names with short ones in a unique
manner.  Unfortunately the changes are too extensive to port to the 2.4
release branch.

-Brad