RPATH order problem

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue May 1 17:09:59 CEST 2007

David Faure wrote:
> => How is the RPATH order determined?
> Is there any way to ensure that /usr/lib will always be after $KDEDIR/lib and $QTDIR/lib?

KDE uses the "INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH" option provided by CMake
which basically says that the RPATH is the same as the linker search
path except for the directories in the build tree.

The linker path order is computed automatically by CMake given the full
paths to the libraries being linked.  A safe order is supposed to be
computed based on the contents of the directories containing the libraries.

Please post the KDELibsDependencies.cmake file from the kdelibs you're
using.  It is installed to PREFIX/share/apps/cmake/modules, or is in the
top of the build tree of kdelibs.  Also please build konqueror and kwin with

  make VERBOSE=1

and post the link lines used to produce the binaries.

> => Why are we still using old-style rpath? Thiago, can we activate by default the runpath
> stuff so that $LD_LIBRARY_PATH can actually do its job?

Whether or not we switch to RUNPATH on ELF systems, the old-style RPATH
still has to work for other platforms.

-Brad