macro kde4_install_library

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Jul 21 04:56:06 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Friday 20 July 2007 04:11, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf schrieb:
> > Hi PutHuhn,
> >
> > On Monday 16 July 2007 11:49, Nhuh Put wrote:
> >> Hello
> >> With default calls to install, shared libraries are installed into
> >> LIB_INSTALL_DIR. This is fine for linux, but on windows, they should go
> >> into BIN_INSTALL_DIR. The install function of cmake supports this with
> >> the RUNTIME DESTINATION and LIBRARY DESTINATION options.
> >> To make things simpler, I would like to add a macro called
> >> kde4_install_library for this.
> >> Usage would be kde4_install_library( kdecore ) for example.
> >
> > thanks for the patch.
> > I'm not sure what to do about this.
> > Actually I like the previous (long) version better, where the full
> > INSTALL() syntax is used everywhere.
> > With the current patch we introduce another macro which hides a bit what
> > is actually going on.
>
> Which has the advantage that special library install handling would be
> possible on a common place.

That's also true.
Still I wouldn't do it.
Then you will have a CMakeLists.txt full of KDE4_do_this() KDE4_do_that() and
wonder what it all does. I'd like to avoid macros which just save some typing
but then hide what's happening.
If there's INSTALL(), just have a look at the cmake man page.
If there's KDE4_INSTALL_LIBS() you have to dig out the FindKDE4Internal.cmake
file and check the docs at the top. IMO in this case that's not worth it.

Anyway, email sent to k-c-d.

> > Maybe we should ask on kde-core-devel if there are objections against
> > using the full INSTALL() syntax.
>
> In cmake 2.4.7 changelog i found:
>
> * Allow for platform choice of executable shared libs install
>
> I understand that there is now an option to set something like this,
> unfortunally I haven't found any documentation about this option.

I think it's something different, you can now select whether you want the
executable bit set on an installed library:
http://www.cmake.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Source/cmFileCommand.cxx?r1=1.56.2.6&root=CMake&sortby=date&r2=1.56.2.7&only_with_tag=CMake-2-4

Bye