OpenGL vs. Qt4 OpenGL

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Dec 14 08:48:44 CET 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 13.12.07 17:53:49, Allen Winter wrote:
> > kpat links against ${QT_QTOPENGL_LIBRARY}, which points to
> > qt-copy/lib/libQtOpenGL.so
> >
> > so this is why I'm confused.  I do have 2 separate OpenGL builds
> > available.
> >
> > should we permit stuff to build against QT_QTOPENGL?
> > so far, the only instance I've seen of this is in kpat
>
> I'm not into that stuff that much, but I think things like kwin that
> want to render directly onto the screen with OpenGL need to link only
> against libGL, not against libQtOpenGL.
>
> If an app however only wants to display an OpenGL scene inside a QWidget
> then it primarly needs QtOpenGL. (the libGL is automatically pulled in
> through the deps).

Just a small correction...

there are basically three cases for Qt apps with GL:

a) using only libGL (e.g. kwin)
b) using only libQtOpenGL (e.g. an application that just wants QPainter to use
OpenGL internally)
c) using both libGL and libQtOpenGL (e.g. an app that uses OpenGL calls for a
QGLWidget)

a) needs ${OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY}
b) needs ${QT_QTOPENGL_LIBRARY}
c) needs ${QT_QTOPENGL_LIBRARY} ${OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY}

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de