cmake support for KDEWIN(32)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 18:05:24 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 10:45, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the kdewin installer makes it able to install all required package from
> kdesupport and win32libs into one location, which required to merge the
> gnuwin32 and kdewin32  cmake modules into a common module.
> My plans are to introduce a KDEWIN.cmake module, which detects valid
> installations made be the kdewin installer.  I named it KDEWIN to be
> different from the basic kdewin32 library.
>
> The features:
>
> 1. detect KDEWIN installations on various places and for separate
> compilers in the following order
>       1. environment var KDEWIN_DIR
>       2. <ProgramFiles>/kdewin-<compiler> (compiler = mingw,msvc)
>       3. <ProgramFiles>/kdewin
>       4. <ProgramFiles>/kdewin32  [1]
>       5. <ProgramFiles>/gnuwin32  [2]
>
> [1] (may be performed by the recent KDEWIN32 module, see question
> section below)
> [2] (may be performed by the recent GNUWIN32 module, see question
> section below)
>
> 2. allow additional libraries in configuration process to use libraries
> from KDEWIN installation by adding values to CMAKE_REQUIRED_INCLUDES and
> CMAKE_REQUIRED_LIBRARIES
>
> 3. It will probably be necessary to add also values to
> CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH and CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH to have definitions available
> for all targets without the need to add KDEWIN definitions to any single
> target (for cmakes 2.4.6 FINDZLib.cmake this is mandatory which does not
> work otherwise)

This will all be done inside FindKDEWIN.cmake, right ?
While not ideal (modules should ideally not modify the value of global
variables behind the back of the user), this is probably a pragmatic
approach.

> There are still some questions open:
>
> 1. Would it be okay to remove the recent KDEWIN32 and GNUWIN32 modules
> complete or should they still be present ?

No objections from my side.

> 2. Are there any other - perhaps better - proposals for win32  available ?

I think the name FindKDEWIN.cmake might be too generic. Probably a "4" in the
name would be good.

Bye