KDE 4 build on FreeBSD picks up KDE 3 libs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Oct 1 10:03:37 CEST 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 14:01, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have (unsuccessfully) been trying to build KDE trunk on FreeBSD for a
> few days now and believe to have located the problem. On FreeBSD, pretty
> much all libraries installed by third party applications reside in
> /usr/local/lib. This path must be included in the linker search path
> when building KDE 4 so that the third party libraries it depends on are
> found. However, /usr/local/lib is also where the KDE 3 libraries reside.
> And if this path happens to be searched before the location at which the
> KDE 4 libraries are installed, KDE 4 applications link to KDE 3
> libraries. Needless to say, this leads to broken binaries that segfault
> on start.
>
> The linker search path is hard coded by CMake via the -rpath command
> line option. I have been able to disable this behavior by specifying
> -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=YES, although I am not sure what other implications
> disabling -rpath has.

Except that I think that most people use RPATH, disabling it should be fully
supported, it's just less used and tested.

> Next, I set the following environment variables
> (with /kea/kde/install my KDE 4 installation prefix):

Do you have this problem when building kdelibs itself (i.e. genembed or other
tools created during the build can't be run) or later once they are
installed ?
Can you please post the full linking command ?
(make VERBOSE=1)