KDE/kdesdk/kbugbuster

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon May 15 23:42:33 CEST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 17:27, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 22:55, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > SVN commit 541270 by mlaurent:
> >
> > Add message to signal why kresource will not compile
> > (I think that it will better to have a "configure.in.bot" into cmake)
>
> In other terms, this is a request for a way to collect warnings and show them at the end
> of the execution. Could be done with kde-specific macros or could be done in cmake.
> Any CMakeLists.txt in any subdir could "add a message to the list", and then some
> code that runs at the end of it all (I guess that would be the bottom of the toplevel
> CMakeLists.txt) would issue those messages.
>
> Is there interest for such a feature in cmake or should we implement it with our own macros?

However we do it... let's please take this opportunity to come up with a standard message format.

I don't like Warning in this situation.  I like better a wording that states you are missing features
since you don' t have something installed.  And it would be nice to always have a URL pointing
you to where the optional software can be obtained.

Now, I haven't given this a lot of thought (Adriaan maybe has), but something like the following
might be nice:

"Notice:  Your build will be missing the following features because some optional software packages
could not be located.  Please install the optional software as indicated below and re-run 'cmake'
if you would like to have the associated feature enabled:

FEATURE: gives extra coolness to kneato
PACKAGE: cool software

FEATURE: weaponize your computer
PACKAGE: libarmament
"

So maybe we have a cmake macro
missing_feature_message("description","package name","url")

or something like this...
-Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE