equivalent in cmake to man_MANS

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 19:25:04 CEST 2006

On 3/31/06, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 00:04, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Does cmake have support for installing man pages, something like
> > man_MANS for automake?
>
> What does this exactly do ?

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Man-pages.html#Man%20pages

The nice thing is, that eveything happens automatically. I only have
to specify the man pages.
e.g.
man_MANS = foo.1 bar.2 are installed to $(mandir)/man1/foo.1 and
$(mandir)/man2/bar.2
Localized manpages are also handled automatically.
In addition you get get a configure parameter --mandir, where you get
optionally specify  a different install location.

This is something I miss in cmake. There should be some default
TARGETS, which automatically have a corresponding configure flag.
Something like:
INSTALL(SBIN foo)
INSTALL(LIB bar)
INSTALL(INCLUDES headers)
and cmake automatically provides CMAKE_SBIN_INSTALL_DIR,
CMAKE_LIB_INSTALL_DIR and CMAKE_INCLUDES_INSTALL_DIR, etc. which you
can set in ccmake.
I know, that you can do that all on your own, but if cmake targets a
more widespread use, it would make sense to provide a consistent
interface for standard targets.
This why, you could run cmake .. -DCMAKE_SBIN_INSTALL_DIR=/sbin and be
sure, that all sbin binaries are installed to /sbin.

Cheers,
Michael