please verify: parallel builds are working now

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Mar 29 19:01:13 CEST 2006

Brad King wrote:
>When a build tree is first created by CMake it becomes locked to the
>compiler specified the first time.  If the compiler is not specified
>with a full path then the PATH is searched to find it, and then that
>full path is used.  It is not safe to build some of a tree with one
>compiler and then the rest with another in C++ anyway.  Even if the
>compilers share an ABI the try-compile results may be different.

The point is I *want* to switch compilers.

I want to switch between gcc, colorgcc and teambuilder/icecream/etc.

And I do that by setting PATH. Currently, the only want to switch
compilers is to rm -rf * and reconfigure.

This is how I work:
$ teambuilder off
$ cmake /path/to/src/kdelibs
$ teambuilder on
$ make -kj25
<wait for parallel build to complete>
$ make
<inspect one single compilation error>

I don't want to run all the configure tests with Teambuilder because they
are all mostly small and the overhead of sending to another machine,
compiling and sending back isn't worth it. But I do want to make the
gross (-k) compilation with Teambuilder to get most everything out of the
way.

Currently, I have no choice but to run all the configure tests with the
compile farm.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway