RPATH again - different types of executables

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 28 22:05:26 CEST 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>
>>In general yes but I think in the case of kdelibs this is not a problem.
>

> Hmm... now I'm unsure.
>
> Say appA links to libkdeui (only). libkdeui links to libkdecore.
>
> Will appA's RPATH influence libkdeui's search order? I don't think it
> does.

You're probably right.  I've never encountered the problem because I use
CMake for everything.  It automatically pulls in library dependencies
and links the executable explicitly to all libraries (at least if the
project providing the libs uses export_library_dependencies properly).

Inside the kdelibs build tree CMake will link the executables to
everything they need so the library search paths will not be needed.
Perhaps they could be built with the install tree rpath only.  I'm not
sure what the precedence is though so that might conflict with the
executable's rpath.  Someone will have to investigate.

-Brad