modular configure checks with cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 28 21:48:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

currently we have big cmake files named ConfigureChecks.cmake in the top-level
of every KDE module.
In theory we would prefer a more modular approach, i.e. execute the required
checks in the appropriate subdirs.
This would be no problem with cmake.

But how to do the conversion ?
If one of the checks, e.g. HAVE_FOO_H is removed from e.g. kdelibs/config.h
and moved to e.g. kdelibs/kio/kio-config.h, the complete kdelibs/ sources
have to be checked for further uses of HAVE_FOO_H (since this doesn't always
result in a compile error).
Since the global config.h will be modified, basically all of kdelibs will be
recompiled, so this will require really a *lot* of time.

Maybe somebody could write a script which checks which compiler definitions
are used in which files ?

Better ideas ?

Bye