RPATH again - different types of executables

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Mar 27 23:38:13 CEST 2006

At 03:21 PM 3/27/2006, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>On Monday 27 March 2006 22:15, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>> Slight correction on terminology below...
>>
>> On 3/27/06, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
>> > 1) "normal" GUI applications - on OS X frameworks should be generated,
>> > RPATH to the install dir
>>
>> s/frameworks/application bundles/
>
>Yes, right, I mixed it up.
>
>> Explanation: "Frameworks" on OS X are library bundles.  Applications
>> are also placed in bundles, but they're called application bundles (or just
>> app bundles).
>>
>> For basic KDE libraries, framework bundles (in other words, frameworks)
>> should probably be created.  These would probably be installed somewhere
>> like /Library/Frameworks/kdelibs.framework/...
>
>So, should always frameworks be generated for the libs ?
>
>> For basic KDE GUI applications, application bundles should definitely
>> be generated.  I'd suggest installing them by default somewhere like
>> /Applications/KDE (/Applications is the default place for gui
>> applications).
>
>Ok, I'll have a look.
>But probably not before the next cmake release, which will (AFAIK) feature
>improved support for bundles and frameworks.

Currently, to get GUI things to run on the Mac, they have to be application
bundles.  The way to do this in CMake, is this:

ADD_EXECUTABLE(BundleTest MACOSX_BUNDLE BundleTest.cxx)

See the cmake sources Tests/BundleTest for an example.
This is much like on windows where you can add a WIN32 flag
in the add_executable to make it a non-console app.

-Bill