changing the CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILES in ccmake has no effect.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 23 19:37:23 CET 2006

Matt Rogers wrote:
> If i use ccmake to configure the build and change
> CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE to OFF, the setting has no effect and I have to
> manually edit the CMakeLists.txt file in order to turn off verbosity. Is
> this the intended effect?

This is because the top level CMakeLists.txt file in KDE hard-codes the
setting to ON and ignores the cache value.  Now that things are
up-and-running the setting should probably be removed.  CMake's default
is OFF, but it provides the advanced cache option to allow users to turn
it ON.  Also, even if it is off one can do

   make VERBOSE=1

or

   VERBOSE=1 make

to turn it on for just one build.