How to find qmake to find QT4

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 21 14:49:12 CET 2006

At 08:36 AM 3/21/2006, Thiago Macieira wrote:

>The very first one should be the pkg-config check, on Unix platforms. I
>also guess the very first one on Windows should be the registry check.
>
>$ pkg-config --variable=prefix QtCore
>/home/tjmaciei/troll/qt-4.1-build
>
>If Qt is not found using pkg-config on Unix platforms, bail out. It is
>supposed to be found anything else is broken.

That seems a bit harsh.  For example, my build and install of qt-copy
would not work in that case.   There are potential users that would not
have root access, and may want to install qt into a home directory. And
pkg-config would not know anything about those installs would it?

I thought that with qt4, all you had to do was put qt4bin in your path
to use qt.  Also, I don't think pkg-config is even on all UNIX platforms,
Solaris, HP, IRIX, etc.    Same goes for the windows registry check,
if you have built it yourself, there will be no registry entries.  Seems
like PATH should be searched first.   If I have set up my environment such
that when I run qmake, it runs some version of qmake, I would expect that
version of qt to be found and used by cmake.

-Bill