Display names for parser tokens [was Re: CMake and kdebase]

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Mar 16 19:19:37 CET 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 17:00, Brad King wrote:
> Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:46, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> >>Well, since kdelibs builds with CMake just fine (see the dartboard for
> >>results), I figured it was time to try out kdebase. This is where one
> >>rapidly runs into the lack of canonical knowledge about CMake -- and a
> >>little laziness wrt. reading the entire CMake manual. Here's some
> >> comments based on current output (using CMake 2.3.3). Phrased in an
> >> unfriendly manner.
> >>
> >>Syntax error in cmake code at
> >>(no filename given):-1:
> >>syntax error, unexpected cal_SYMBOL, expecting cal_RCURLY (12), when
> >
> > I think that error message can be improved. I started on
> > mCommandArgumentParser.y, patch attached. Someone should give token
> > display names for all tokens in all grammars(IMHO, AFAICT).
> >
> > A cmake developer is perhaps lurking that can take care of it, or someone
> > else that can ensure it gets the proper attention?
>
> Thanks for the patch.  I've committed it in CVS CMake.  It will still
> not avoid the missing filename and line number problem:

Expected, none of my changes should have affected that.

> When you locate the error please try to duplicate it in a small test
> case and submit a bug report here:

(I'm not analyzing it, so someone else has to do that).

I meant that all the grammars needed to be fixed, not just that file. Attached
patch do that, or something in that direction.

It can Not be applied as is, because 1) I haven't even tried to compile it(let
alone regression test it); 2) The tokens/grammar needs to be changed in some
cases(it looks wrong and prevents display names); and 3) needs to be reviewed
by someone who actually knows the code. The relevant areas are marked with
"TODO".

(It smells NIH syndrom, I don't get why all these languages needs to be
invented/implemented. A build system using Python would have avoided
reinventing-wheel bugs, etc, AFAICT.)

Cheers,

		Frans