Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Thu Mar 16 03:17:00 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 19:13, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 04:29 PM 3/15/2006, David Faure wrote:
> >No; our current solution which supports "N compile jobs in parallel but
> >only one linking job at a time", is "unsermake". An automake+make
> > replacement, written in python, and living in trunk/kdenonbeta/unsermake
> > in the KDE svn. A very nice build tool (it has other features that I'll
> > be requesting from cmake at some point ;), but with the major
> > disadvantage that it still relies on autoconf for the configuration part,
> > so it's no portable solution.
>
> I was wondering what unsermake was....  I suppose we could create an
> unsermake generator in cmake, and that could be used to do the parallel
> builds.

I wouldn't quite bother yet.  unsermake still requires automake AFAIK so
unless we manage to separate it from that dependency it wouldn't be
horrifically useful.

It might not be hard to do so however and make it depend on cmake or something
instead. :)

It would be very nice to get unsermake to work though.  It's output is much
nicer than make's (although it is certainly possible to get make to output
the same I suppose), and it supports parallel compilation better.

Also, I believe the really useful part of --compile-jobs=, which no one seems
to have brought up yet, is that directories full of man pages will break
under parallel compilation as the build rule seems to involve outputting a
temporary file with a set name and then renaming the temp file to the correct
file name.

e.g. maninput-foo -> temp.1 -> foo.1

So when trying to convert multiple files to a man page simultaneously, things
sometimes would break.

Of course if cmake's build rule is improved in that regard then it's probably
not a problem.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne