KDE_DEPRECATED

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Mar 11 11:47:23 CET 2006

Brad King wrote:
>I've found that a KDE_DEPRECATED-style macro is insufficient across
>compilers.  Some compilers want the decoration before the method and
>some want it after the method.  In VTK I created a "VTK_LEGACY" macro
>that surrounds the method declaration.

This is not necessary in KDE. The position for the macro IS between the
inline/static/virtual modifiers and the return value.

Qt is doing the same way for QT3_SUPPORT, even though that doesn't trigger
warnings unless QT3_SUPPORT_WARNINGS is turned on.

Maybe we should have the same?
#ifdef KDE_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS
# define KDE_DEPRECATED Q_DECL_DEPRECATED
#else
# define KDE_DEPRECATED
#endif

This would allow us to *build* the compatibility methods and classes
without those annoying warnings.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.