kstyles compiling command line lenght problem

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 7 17:16:32 CET 2006

Ralf Habacker wrote:
> I just tried to install kstyles  and recognized the same problem we had
> with make clean some time ago on windows.
>
> The command line is 12595 characters long. I think it could be shortend
> by using a relative path for the images, because the relating command
> line enters at first F:\daten\kdelibs\kstyles\keramik, which could then
> be removed on all additional pathes. This would give a resulting command
> line length of 5772, which does not exceed the 8k limit.
>
> Ralf
>
> cd F:\daten\kdelibs\kstyles\keramik && ..\..\bin\genembed
> F:/daten/kdelibs/kstyles/keramik/pics/checkbox-off.png F:/daten/kdelibs/
> kstyles/keramik/pics/checkbox-on.png

This is occuring during the build in a custom command.  In order to pass
all those files to the command in an out-of-source build full paths are
required.  I suggest that you configure the list into a file and then
pass the file to the program which may then read the list from the file.
  This is the same fix we are implementing for CMake's make clean
support but CMake cannot do it automatically in this case because it has
no idea how to format the file or pass it to the user-defined program.

-Brad