Fwd: KDE/kdebase/libkonq

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 2 19:51:52 CET 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>So does this mean if I link to kparts and use QString in my app, I have
> to add QtCore explicitely. But as long as I don't call any functions
> from zlib directly, I don't have to add it, right ?
>Seems bearable to me.
>
>This would mean la files are not required.

In the pedantic world, since you're using stuff from QtCore, you'll
remember to add it to your app's list of dependencies.

But I don't think we should do that.

Here's how I summarise it:
- CMake has its own dependency tracking mechanism, just like it has been
posted
- When you link to a library in the same project, CMake figures out the
dependencies on its own, just like it has been posted

so far, no changes

- When you install a library and the target platform can't remember the
dependencies (Win32, MacOS X, other non-ELF systems), you install an .la
file along with the library's binary
- When you link to a library that came from another project, you check if
the .la file is there. If it is, you read the dependent library list from
it.
- If it isn't there, assume the library is stand-alone.

PS: KDE doesn't use static ELF libraries, so I didn't include it in the
summary above, but CMake may have to do it for other projects.

PPS: we do use static ELF libraries, but those are "convenience libraries"
because automake can't link to files that are in other dirs. Just forget
about them.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.