Fwd: KDE/kdebase/libkonq

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Mar 1 18:38:43 CET 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 14:24, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 13:48, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > David Faure wrote:
> > >We really need some ${LIB_KPARTS} alias which expands to
> > >  kparts kde3support kdeui kio DCOP ${QT_QTGUI_LIBRARY}
> > > ${QT_QT3SUPPORT_LIBRARY} ${QT_QTXML_LIBRARY} kdefx ${ZLIB_LIBRARY}
> > > ${X11_LIBRARIES} Is that possible?
> > >
> > >This is just too much details to be right.
> >
> > Being pedantic:
> > ${LIB_KPARTS} should expand to "kparts" only. The build system has to
> > figure out kparts' dependencies on its own.

AFAIK cmake does this, if kparts has been built in the current project (i.e.
while building kdelibs, cmake should be able to add the libs which kparts
depends on).
I didn't test this, but I think this doesn't work when building e.g. kdebase.

> I thought that this couldn't be done since Windows dlls, or static libs, or
> both, don't record their dependencies, iirc.
>
> So my suggestion achieves the same goal, more easily. To the "user" (i.e.
> the one who writes a CMakeFiles.txt for his lib or app) the effect is the
> same anyway: specifying LIB_KPARTS should be enough (we agree on that at
> least ;)

The cannonical way would be in FindKDE4.cmake:

FIND_LIBRARY(KDE4_KPARTS_LIBRARY NAMES kparts PATHS ...)
SET( KDE4_KPARTS_LIBRARIES ${KDE4_KPARTS_LIBRARY} ${KDE4_KIO_LIBRARIES} )

and then KDE4_KPARTS_LIBRARIES should be used.

What do you think about this ?

(in cmake usually FOO_LIBRARY is used when it is really only one library, but
FOO_LIBRARIES if it is more than one, e.g. an optimized and a debug version,
or also including depend libs).

Bye