Licensing of cmake modules?

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Tue Jun 27 19:16:19 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 11:37, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 10:51, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Before its too late: has anyone ever thought about the licensing of the
> > cmake module files? I think we should re-license them as loosely as
> > possible (X11/MIT license), so that other projects can just copy&paste
> > the code freely.
> >
> > Any opinions?
>
> Ok with me.
> CMake itself is also BSD-licensed.
> But does that mean to insert the BSD copyright header in every tiny cmake
> file ?

Well, yes. ;)

The .cmake files certainly have their share of IF()/ELSE()/ENDIF(), so it is
clear that there is programming code in there.  CMake programs should be
licensed just as with any other program in the KDE repository.  (So I'm wrong
in that regards myself).

I think it would be useful to BSD license them that way it is possible to
merge improvements back into CMake, and in addition other CMake users
can "borrow" working tests to find libraries and such.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne