Finding qmake

Simon Perreault nomis80 at nomis80.org
Fri Jun 23 14:44:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

Currently, FindQt4.cmake searches for "qmake" before "qmake-qt4". I think
that's wrong and that it should be reversed.

Why: When qmake (from Qt3) and qmake-qt4 are in the $PATH, the check fails
unless the order is reversed.

Why not: I can't see any reason why not.

I'm asking because my commit r544680 was reversed by Alexander Neundorf in
r549218. I contacted him, but he wouldn't provide me with any justification.
His commit message is as follows:

"first check for qmake, then for qmake-qt4, this is in sync with cmake's
FindQt4.cmake and better for us (as we use qt-copy)"

My rebuttal:

1) "In sync with cmake's FindQt4.cmake": Yes, that's why the fix should be
sent upstream. It's not a reason to preserve a bug.

2) "Better for us (as we use qt-copy)": I simply don't understand that
argument. If qmake-qt4 isn't found, it will look for qmake. So the one
residing in qt-copy would be used, and everyone is happy.

Alexander also provided the following suggestion: "consider adjusting PATH or
specifying QT4_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE directly." Adjusting PATH is not an option
because both qmake and qmake-qt4 live in /usr/bin on my system (Debian). I
tried specifying QT4_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE directly, but cmake forgets the value
when it is re-run automatically (for example, when you modify a .cmake).

If no reply is made to this message, I will assume that my point will have
been made and accepted, and I will revert r549218.

Thanks