Standalone qt-dbus in kdesupport

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Fri Jun 9 10:08:11 CEST 2006

Ralf Habacker schrieb:

> Paulo Moura Guedes schrieb:
>
>> On Thursday 08 June 2006 22:21, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>>
>>> It is possible to set a different installation dir for make install ?
>>>
>> You mean by default?
>> You can set it explicitly with the variable CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.
>>

> No. I meant by running make install. The package must be configured by
> using the default
>
> make install prefix=<another-install-dir>
>

> or
>
> make install CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<another-install-dir>

Some additional notes:

On automake based systems the generic way is to configure a package with
a specific installation path (prefix=...) , which is used in several
parts, for example rpath settings, config files and tools like
kde-config and other.

F:\daten\kdelibs-build>bin\kde-config --prefix
C:\Programme\kdelibs

on unix this will report probably /opt/kde4 or similar

To make a binary package on unix for example rpm a source tar ball is
unpacked by rpmbuild in a temporay location, compiled and installed in
an temporary installation dir of wich the related files are packaged
into the final rpm.
Using a temporary installation dir is necessary because installing in
the original cmake given install path would overwrite important files in
the running os.

rpmbuild uses

make install prefix=<temporary-install-dir>

On windows packaging goes similar. One will unpack a source tar ball or
get the source from cvs, configure it with a specific installation path,
compile it and install the result into a temporary directory, from which
a zip archive or a graphical installer using Inno Setup or NSIS will be
created.

Hope that explains a little bit more the need for a temporary install
path option for make install.

BTW: I have send this answer to kde-buildsystem too because this is a
build system issue.

Regards
 Ralf