cmake problem: dependencies are not updated until make is re-run

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jun 7 16:26:15 CEST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 10:34, David Faure wrote:
> I have seen this problem multiple times, but I'm not sure something can be done about it...
> Basically the first time "make" is run, if it triggers a cmake run, then the new dependencies
> are not taken into account. They are only when running make again.

BTW I'm seeing the same when a header file is moved.

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/d/kde/src/4/kdelibs/kutils/kplugininfo.h', needed by `kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/kpluginselector.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
makeobj[0]: Leaving directory `/d/kde/build/4/kdelibs'

-obelix- dfaure 16:06 /d/kde/build/4/kdelibs>cd kutils
-obelix- dfaure 16:21 /d/kde/build/4/kdelibs/kutils>make
makeobj[0]: Entering directory `/d/kde/build/4/kdelibs/kutils'
Dependee "/d/kde/src/4/kdelibs/kutils/kplugininfo.h" does not exist for depender "kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/kpluginselector.o".
[...]
Clearing dependencies in "kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/depend.make".
Clearing dependencies in "kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/depend.internal".
Scanning dependencies of target kutils
Building CXX object kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/kpluginselector.o
[no problem this time]

kplugininfo.h was moved to another directory that's in the include path, so kpluginselector.cpp should
still compile. But the first time I do make after moving the file, the error on the first line happens.
Bug or feature?