patch: c/cxxflags for static libraries

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:19:46 CEST 2006

On 7/18/06, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Matt Broadstone wrote:
> >Personally it would be useful to me to be able to have convenience
> >libs supported again. I have posted a patch to this list converting
> >khtml to use convenience libs. Why don't we figure out how to get this
> >working with cmake? We have a test case..
>
> Why do you need a convenience lib? It's just a bunch of .o anyways, so use
> them directly.
>
> CMake could create a "virtual target", though. That might be useful.

Well its not so much that I want a convenience lib, as I want a
logical breakdown of the parts within a whole. For me it makes a lot
more sense to build khtml in its pieces: dom, ecma, java, html etc.
and then link them together in the whole. Furthermore, when I've been
using my patch to build khtml, when I make simple changes inside
ecma/debugger I no longer have to build the entirety of khtml. This
may be a problem with cmake, as this should not necesarily be the case
considering I haven't touched code that affects all of khtml, but
that's what happens. If we can find a way around this, ie. change the
CMakeLists.txt for khtml in such a way that simple changes in each
module do not affect the entirety of khtml, then that's a decent
solution. But for now, on my box, doing it this way (convenience,
modular, whatever you want to call it :) ) works better for me, and I
simply thought it might work better for others as well.

Cheers,
     Matt Broadstone