patch: c/cxxflags for static libraries

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Sun Jul 16 09:06:15 CEST 2006

On Sunday 16. July 2006 01:52, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Matt Rogers wrote:

> >> Ok, but where do we need this ?
> >> All uses of libtool convenience libs have been converted to just use
> >> the sources directly AFAIK.
> >
> >kdevelop still uses static libraries in some places.
>
> Static libraries don't need -fPIC.

Yes yes, not strictly speaking. But in 99% of the cases in KDE we link those
static libraries into a shared object (either as regular library or as
kdeinit module), and then it breaks.

In KDE3 we (or rather libtool) compiled them with PIC, too. And so does qmake
(since Qt 4.1). Why should we suddenly stop doing the same? I don't believe
the 'optimization' is really worth it when it simply breaks the build.

Simon