trying to install kdelibs (kde4)

Winfried winfried_mb2 at casema.nl
Sat Jul 15 17:59:06 CEST 2006

According to the instructions at for example
http://developer.kde.org/build/compile_cvs.html I did the following:

created a new user account 'kde4'
checkout kdelibs-snapshot in /home/kde4/kde4_checkout
cd kdelibs4_snapshot
mkdir obj
cd obj
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/kde4/kde4 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull ..
make

No problems so far.

Then I did 'make install' as user kde4. This fails because make tries to
install some things in /usr/local/lib. The first one is:

CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/kde4/kde4_checkout/kdelibs4_snapshot/obj/kdefx/cmake_install.cmake:30:
FILE error when creating symlink from: /usr/local/lib/libkdefx.so to
libkdefx.so.5
make: *** [install] Error 255

The kdefx/cmake_install.cmake line looks as follows:
FILE(INSTALL DESTINATION "/usr/local/lib" TYPE SHARED_LIBRARY PROPERTIES
VERSION 5.0.0 SOVERSION 5
FILES "/home/kde4/kde4_checkout/kdelibs4_snapshot/obj/lib/libkdefx.so")

So why does cmake/make try to install things in /usr/local/lib even though I
defined CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX?

Is there another/better way to setup a kde4 development system?

Thanks in advance,
Winfried Dobbe