RFC: A Configure Wrapper

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 15:04:06 CEST 2006

On Saturday 01 July 2006 18:35, Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Saturday 01 July 2006 21:39, Allen Winter wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Attached is a perl script that emulates the old configure program.  Pretty
> > straightforward so I don't think you need to be a perl expert to understand
> > it.
> >
> > It only supports a minimum set of the old options.  More options can be
> > easily added if there is a CMake equivalent.
> >
> > So far it supports these options:
> >  --prefix
> >  --enable-debug=<yes|no|full>
> >  --enable-final
> >  --disable-rpath
> >  --with-qt-dir=DIR
> >
> > You'll also notice that it creates a build subdir and runs cmake from
> > within that subdir.
> >
> > So, the idea is that users not willing to learn the new "cmake-way" will
> > run: % ./configure <options>; cd builddir; make && make install
> >
> > And, unfortunately, this script will need to be kept in sync with what's
> > happening in the cmake-stuff, and also each module will need their own
> > copy.
> >
> > Comments?  More configure options to add?
> > -Allen
>
> Do we really need this?
Nope.

> People should just learn the cmake way IMHO.
I think so too.

> With the use of the 'ccmake' program, it's almost easier than running configure.
Probably true.

> This  is just another unneeded maintainence burden IMHO.
Absolutely.

> Surely developers aren't  that lazy that they can't take the 5 seconds to read
> a quick start guide that  says:
I would hope not.

> Do we have such a guide already? It would also contain other information on
> CMake, of course. If not, I'll volunteer to write it.
We have a wiki.  I'd like to see the INSTALL file at the top of each module updated.
Would you take on that job?

We also need a nice doc at developer.kde.org.  The wiki page should probably
be turned into a howto type page at d.k.o.

I wrote the configure perl wrapper because:
 1. it was on my todo list -- and it was a fun diversion (I occasionally like to write perl)
 2. it seemed like a good thing to provide the distributions and non-developers

Saying that...I would rather not have it... it will be a major pain to keep up-to-date.

So, the consensus is to change the script to not actually run cmake, but instead print:
 "KDE no longer supports the autotools build change.  Please run:  cmake -D..."

??

--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE