howto generate apidox from kdelibs/ ?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sat Jan 28 23:13:00 CET 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 21:43, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> many Makefile.am's in kdelibs/ contain "include ../admin/Doxyfile.am".
> kdelibs/admin/ contains a Doxyfile.am, a doxygen.sh and a Doxyfile.global.
> How do they work together in order to create the docs for kdelibs/ ?

That's secret, yet documented in doxygen.sh; basically, you want to invoke
doxygen.sh in the top-level of your build dir with a single parameter, namely
$(top_srcdir). Doxyfile.am provides the makefile hooks (make apidox, etc.)
for it, doxygen.sh does all the work and is a standalone application and
Doxyfile.global is the global Doxygen file, with gobs of settings that set up
the "standard" KDE Doxygen output.

> I'd like to add this to the cmake stuff, and it would help if I don't have
> to find out myself.
>
> Any hints ?

Big hint: don't do it.

I agree with Coolo that generating apidox isn't really something that needs to
be in the build system -- having something ik kdesdk is just as natural, and
saves space in the regular tarballs as well. So doxygen.sh and Doxygen.am are
moving, going away at some point.

In addition, the existing script is totally Makefile.am oriented -- settings
are done in Makefile.am, for instance. I intend to split that off into
Mainpage.dox files instead of abusing Makefile.am for that, though.

Implementation hint:
	cd $(top_builddir) && /bin/sh $(top_srcdir)/admin/doxygen.sh $(top_srcdir)

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.