invitation: try compiling kdelibs using cmake

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sat Jan 28 00:33:24 CET 2006

Benjamin Reed wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>>You can get the per-target part of that right now:
>>
>>SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(mylib PROPERTIES LINK_FLAGS -no-undefined)
>>
>>As far as per-os you'll still have to test the platform before adding
>>the flag with the above command.  We've talked about having a mapping of
>>generic feature names (warning level, optimization level, etc.) to
>>specific flags on each platform but it has not yet been implemented.
>
> right, but "-no-undefined" is a feature of libtool, and gets
> translated into different things depending on the host.  (on OSX,
> there are no -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -undefined
> dynamic_lookup, etc. when using -no-undefined, on linux it passes
> -Wl,--no-undefined to gnu ld, etc.)

Of course, it was my mistake to construct the example with that
particular flag.  I meant to use one of the os-specific flags for the
example.

> Depending on the deployment target, it picks the "best" option for
> getting good symbol resolution.  That's why it's more suitable to be a
> cmake general feature, IMHO.  This is crazy logic to be implementing
> per-project.

That's what I meant about the mapping from system feature names to
specific flags.  We plan to implement such a mapping and this feature
can be one of the entries.

> But for now it's a minor thing, I'll just say "allow undefined symbols
> always" and we can tighten up the restrictions later.  :)

Sure.

-Brad