finding libraries for programs with doing clean builds

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Jan 10 15:35:15 CET 2006

Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2006 15:00 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Matt Rogers wrote:
> >I've tried to think of a good solution for this for the last couple of
> > days and I haven't come up with much of anything. Does anybody else
> > have some ideas on how to solve this? Obviously setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > before running scons works, but there will be a lot of directories that
> > will need to be added once we get around to doing things like compiling
> > docs, etc. and I'm wondering if we can do something better.
>
> The only solution is to duplicate what libtool does, which is to determine
> how to run a program linked against uninstalled libraries.
>
> Options are:
> 1) setting the proper environment variable when possible
> (DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.)
>
> 2) relinking the program if no other suitable method is found
>
> Note that a standard Linux uses option #2, because LD_LIBRARY_PATH won't
> work on a standard KDE installation that used --rpath.
>
> Also note that the fact that we run program we've just built makes it
> impossible to do a KDE cross-compilation. The clean solution for this
> would be to split all programs we need for building KDE from the KDE
> build itself.

Would this not create a deadlock for tools, which depends on for example
kdecore and kdecore may require the newest tool to compile.

The solution for this I see is that those tools should not depend on any kde
libraries, may be only on qt or the libraries which are required to build
such tools should not use features provided by that tools.

kconfig_compiler for example uses KSimpleConfig, kdDebug, KAboutData,
KCmdLineArgs and KInstance of which KSimpleConfig is the most used.
Are there other tools like that ?

Ralf

Unfortunally kconfig_compiler requires kdecore for building itself. So you
need a bootstraping kdecore