bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Tue Jan 10 13:30:20 CET 2006

Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 17:40 schrieb Nagy Thomas:
> > > I did, and our requirements (like 'a good
> > > configuration framework') are wanted by many other
> > > people too. Scons is throttled by backward
> > > compatibility, and its (now very low) amount of
> > > developers with commit access.
> >
> > Perhaps we could convince them that breaking
> > backwards compatibility is
> > perhaps the only way to move their project forward?
>
> Try and see.
>
> > Even the oldest of
> > distributions should have python 2.2 and there is a
> > windows version of it. Do
> > we know why they insist on keeping backwards
> > compatibility with python 1.5.2?
>
> Several companies are relying on scons for in-house
> development, as a result not-so-useful features cannot
> be changed or removed. But you should probably ask
> them yourself.
>
> > do you know where the performance problems are?
>
> Too much string manipulation (substitution parsers
> using regexps), discutable design decisions (like
> rescanning everything everytime), little code
> flexibility.

some notes about performance from
http://scons.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=6450

"It almost feels like maybe I could just redo it in a marginally more
efficient but less hackish language like Java and it'd take less time.
 I could use groovy as the scripting language and keep the "good"
ideas in scons but remove the inefficiency and waste of python (e.g.
less a hashtable for every object). ..."

Ralf