bksys / scons (Re: win32 port)

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sun Jan 8 14:01:58 CET 2006

Nagy Thomas schrieb:

>>All in all, I'm not sure how the collaboration with
>>the scons people goes - whether
>>we can contribute a much improved configuration
>>framework, or whether the
>>only choice is to keep forking more and more stuff.
>>And that's only about the
>>configuration part, but apparently ita is reworking
>>the rest of scons too... ?
>>

>Some refactoring cannot harm.
>

>>ita, did you talk to the scons people about those
>>improvements?
>>

>I did, and our requirements (like 'a good
>configuration framework') are wanted by many other
>people too. Scons is throttled by backward
>compatibility, and its (now very low) amount of
>developers with commit access.
>
>For people who have not followed here is a summary of
>the main issues with bksys/scons at the moment (i am a
>bit negative):
>* performance for incremental builds must be improved
>* the source code of scons must be kept compatable to
>python 1.5.2
>* command-line handling is not compatible with
>autotools and difficult to fix
>* libtool-like library support is difficult to make
>* progressbar for monitoring targets being build is
>almost impossible to add
>* detection of headers, libraries and programs could
>be improved
>* control over the scheduler is None

more problems on windows
F:\daten\kdelibs>scons install
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for pkg-config ... (cached) no

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
kdocument.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libkdocument.dll,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libkdocument.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libkdocument.a -Wl,--output-def,kdocument.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libkdocument.a,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libkdocument.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libkdocument.a -Wl,--output-def,kdocument.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
kdocument.def,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libkdocument.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libkdocument.a -Wl,--output-def,kdocument.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libkdocument.la,
        but they appear to have the same action: build_la_file(target,
source, env)
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1018, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
cursorfeedback.moc,
        but they appear to have the same action: $QT_MOC
--ignore-option-clashes $QT_MOCINCFLAGS -o $TARGET $SOURCE
File "./bksys\qt4.py", line 247, in scan_moc

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
editorchooser.moc,
        but they appear to have the same action: $QT_MOC
--ignore-option-clashes $QT_MOCINCFLAGS -o $TARGET $SOURCE
File "./bksys\qt4.py", line 247, in scan_moc

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
editorchooser_ui.h,
        but they appear to have the same action: uic_processing(target,
source, env)
File "./bksys\qt4.py", line 305, in QT4files

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
rangefeedback.moc,
        but they appear to have the same action: $QT_MOC
--ignore-option-clashes $QT_MOCINCFLAGS -o $TARGET $SOURCE
File "./bksys\qt4.py", line 247, in scan_moc
scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
attribute.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
cursor.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
cursorfeedback.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
editorchooser.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
ktexteditor.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
range.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
rangefeedback.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
smartcursor.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
smartrange.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
templateinterface.o,
        but they appear to have the same action: $SHCXX -o $TARGET -c
$SHCXXFLAGS $_CCCOMCOM $SOURCES
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libktexteditor.dll,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libktexteditor.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libktexteditor.a -Wl,--output-def,kt
exteditor.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libktexteditor.a,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libktexteditor.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libktexteditor.a -Wl,--output-def,kt
exteditor.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
ktexteditor.def,
        but they appear to have the same action:
SharedFlagChecker(target, source, env)
$SHLINK $SHLINKFLAGS -o libktexteditor.dll $SOURCES $_LIBDIRFLAGS
$_LIBFLAGS -Wl,--out-implib,libktexteditor.a -Wl,--output-def,kt
exteditor.def
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1016, in bksys_shlib

scons: warning: Two different environments were specified for target
libktexteditor.la,
        but they appear to have the same action: build_la_file(target,
source, env)
File "bksys\generic.py", line 1018, in bksys_shlib
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...

Can anyone say to which area this problems belong ?
Ralf

>Replacing the scons engine in bkys may have more
>benefits than just patching scons and i am
>investigating on this. Though the code is not ready
>yet (so there is nothing to try or port to win32 for
>the very moment), some specs can be reviewed:
>playground/devtools/miniscons/experimental/DESIGN &&
>playground/devtools/miniscons/experimental/sample.py

What do you think: How many time will this approach requires to get
ready ?  How many percent of the whole work is already done ?

Ralf