mingw status

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Tue Feb 21 11:56:18 CET 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>> It seems to be not supported :-(
>
> Ok, then my suggestion is:
>
> - wrap the method around #ifndef Q_OS_WIN32 or equivalent
> - add to its documentation:
>   \paragraph Warning
>     This method is not available on Win32 platforms and should, therefore,
> not be used in code intending to be portable.
>
> There are already many such cases in Qt itself, so one more won't be a
> problem (see http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qobject.html#findChild and
> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/qvariant.html#fromValue for examples, though
> the reason why those methods aren't available is a completely different
> brain-damage by Microsoft).

Maybe we should wait inserting all these ugly #ifdefs, because there
is no problem when compiling with msvc and we maybe find a solution for
GCC on windows, too.

And if we don't find a simple solution for mingw I would suggest to move
the UString:: code from khtml/ecma/kjs_binding.cpp into (for example)
khtml/ecma/kjs_ustring.cpp and build with this file a Dll (mingw only)
which exports the UString functions like the kjs dll.

This solution has the advantages that we don't touch kjs, we don't need to
introduce #ifdefs, and the build process only changes in adding a source file.

A additional source file also makes it more clear that there
is a implementation of functions declared in kjs/ustring.h

But as said, at the moment I would change nothing, we only have a problem
when we can't compile Konqueror on windows. :)

Peter