include dirs (Re: where to install the cmake files to ?)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 18:32:51 CET 2006

On Friday 17 February 2006 18:13, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 17 February 2006 17:56, David Faure wrote:
> > Looks fine, but we need to handle the case where the prefixes differ.
> > If your cmake is in /usr and installed by root,
> > and you install kdelibs as user into your home dir, then the cmake modules
> > go into your home dir, not into the cmake dir, right?
> > Then it's good - all that's needed is to be able to find them there....
> > so we will probably need a piece of cmake configuration in every module
> > which looks up the kde prefix, e.g. using kde-config.
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> > But I would personally concentrate on cleaning up the CMakeLists.txt in
> > kdelibs before expanding it to other modules,
>
> Do you have something special in mind which has to be cleaned up ?

Well, I was thinking about the very large duplication of include dirs.
am2cmake forgets that include_dirs are inherited from parent dirs,
so there's no need to specify all the things all the time.
If we keep the stuff in kdelibs/CMakeFile.txt then a lot of include dirs
can be removed from the subdirs. But maybe it's a bit strange to include
all those dirs from there (e.g. kdecore sees kdeui and kio and kabc headers...)

(And of course after the cmake fix for implicitly including the current dir we
can clean that up even more)

Still talking about include_directories, I foresee already that the Makefile.am problem
of "all_includes is used before local includes" will appear in CMakeFiles too, it would
nice to have a way to automate that so that every developer doesn't have to remember
the rule of putting KDE4_INCLUDE_DIR last...

Also, why is it kdelibs/kdecore/CMakeLists.txt which sets kde_datadir and kde_icondir etc.?
Won't other modules need this as well?