cmake and RPATH

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Thu Feb 16 21:47:02 CET 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 11:14 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2006 16:35, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Brad King wrote:
> > >FYI, I've been working on an implementation in CMake to relink targets
> > >with an install-tree RPATH before installing.  This is needed even if
> > >you don't want any RPATH in the install tree to remove the RPATH that
> > >points to the build tree.
> >
> > Which begs the question of the default. Why does it build with an rpath
> > of the build tree?
> >
> > Most KDE applications can't run before installing, due to other missing
> > stuff (kparts, icons, desktop files, rc files, etc.). I'd expect most
> > developers to be used to installing before running/testing by now.
>
> The kdevelop users would really like a solution which doesn't need
> installing first, and for some of the stuff you mention (e.g. rc files) we
> have solutions (in KStandardDirs iirc). So if at least the build system
> allows to run uninstalled apps (which the old one did), we can work on the
> other (kde) issues so that it is actually possible.

Yes, please.  With the workaround in KStandardDirs it is possible to run
trivial apps, but running something the size of kdevelop with all its plugins
and complicated build is still not possible even with the KStandardDirs fix.

This is probably one of the top-ten most requested features we get from new
developers who want to program for KDE.  They want to be able to build and
test apps without installing.

Adam