cmake and RPATH

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Feb 15 15:03:59 CET 2006

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>let all libraries be created in the same output directory, and for the
>executables a simple shell script is created, e.g. for kde-config:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/alex/src/kdelibs-build/lib
> /home/alex/kdelibs-build/bin/kde-config
>
>If other systems use other variables than LD_LIBRARY_PATH (e.g.
>DYLD_LIBRARY:PATH on OS X) then the script has to use this other
> variable.

[still catching up on all the February emails]

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a no-op unless you give the compiler the option
-Wl,--enable-new-dtags. GNU ld has supported it for quite a few years,
but I have no idea how the non-GNU linkers on ELF platforms do.

If that option is not supported, you HAVE to relink.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.