Build broken by recent svn checkin

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 20:36:55 CET 2006

At 02:20 PM 2/13/2006, David Faure wrote:

>> OK, I will have it sent to kde-commits at kde.org.   For most of our projects we have the
>> mail sent to a few key people that are in charge of keeping it working.  Also, it is set
>> up to send email to the person that did the commit.  For that, I would need a mapping
>> from svn login name to email address.
>You can find that mapping in kde-common/accounts, but I'm surprised: how can you actually
>know who made the commit, if there were 30 commits between the last successful
>build and the first broken build?

Well, this is a problem, and what happens is that anyone who commits during a broken build
will get the email that they may have broken something.   The guilty party will always
get the email, but there will be some innocents that get the email as well.  It is not perfect,
but it keeps things building.   If it stays broken, then any commits after the break
will get the email as well.   On the bright side, if you were to make a commit,
and wanted to tell someone to do an update to get your changes, you would know that the build
was broken, and maybe not tell anyone else to update until it was fixed.

-Bill