PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH for build time commands

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 13 10:13:11 CET 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 18:00, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 09 February 2006 17:56, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 February 2006 17:24, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> > > In building kdelibs, there are kde applications that link to qt
> > > libraries. These applications are used to generate files during the build
> > > process. This means that the qt libraries must be in the PATH on windows
> > > or LD_LIBRARY_PATH on unix.   The qt generators like moc are installed in
> > > the same directory as the dlls, so they work.   So, is it acceptable to
> > > say that for building kdelibs the qt shared libraries must be in the PATH
> > > or LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
> >
> > I would say yes. Compiling kdelibs must be done in a working Qt
> > environment.
>
> How about kdelibs when compiling other kde modules like kdebase ?
> Is a "working kdelibs environment" required ?

Yes, we need to be able to execute e.g. kde-config.

> If so, what do you think about this ?
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-buildsystem/2006-February/000836.html

That looks different. That's setting variables that point into the kdelibs builddir,
and I think that should be done automatically by the build system, not by the user
compiling kdelibs. Ah but I think that's what you did in the script there?
That looks ok to me, but it only solves the problem if not using RPATH in
the binaries (since RPATH has priority over LD_LIBRARY_PATH) - unless using
the new flags, see the mails from Thiago.