help with CMake on win32

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 7 18:00:12 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 17:21, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Brad King schrieb:
> > In the case that we are building kdewin32 then the try-compile results
> > should just be hard-coded to true for the functions provided.  I think
> > this is what ConfigureChecksWin is supposed to do, but it should be
> > included BEFORE the checks so that they are not done at all.
>
> No, kdewin32 is maybe getting an external lib. So no harcoding please.
> Can't you simply compile it before configure checks are done? I build it
> with scons before all other...
>
> Christian

The usual style with cmake, unsermake, autotools etc. is:

1) check the system
2) build
3) install

It is of course possible to implement something which will build kdelibs/win/
first, then check, then build the rest. Everything else will be non-standard,
hard to understand and IMO hacks.
(Maybe something not too ugly could be done with ctest ?)

Right now kdewin32 is not an external lib and tied to stuff from kdelibs (like
including some headers from outside kdelibs/win/). So for now I strongly vote
for hardcoding the provided functions in ConfigureChecksWin.cmake.
Once kdewin32 is independent from the rest of cmake, it will be easy to build
it separatly.

Bye